Sunday, January 25, 2009

Survivor

My Dad, who is turning 60 this year just called the day before yesterday to tell me he was driving to Fresno to audition to be on Survivor! My first reaction was probably not to his liking, "DAD, you're too old for this! What are you trying to do, kill yourself!?"
His response, "you only live once!" He's right, but I still worry! I somehow feel like the roles have been reversed a bit, here!
He has had a beard my entire life, but just shaved it into a goatee this year. He also shaved his thinning and balding on top head. Now he looks so different to me!? Not bad, just so different. He rides Harley's and party's, he's a lot of fun! I wonder how much of it he's doing just to avoid feeling his age... but either way, what's the harm!?

I sort of hope I can embrace new challenges and be so adventurous at 60! I feel like such an old lady now, and I'm barely turning 30. Maybe my Dad has had it right all along, age is just a number... it's all in how you feel... how you approach life. And that's my problem I FEEL old! And I'm afraid I'm approaching life accordingly.

SOoooo, I think it's time for me to take the inspiration cues from my Dad, and Ronda... who inspired me with her life list.
I haven't realized it, but I've already gotten so absorbed into my kids lives, I don't even think I have one of my own anymore!? I don't even know if a life of my own will be possible until my kids are in school!? I've got a while, considering I'm currently pregnant. Lucky for me, having children and staying home with them has been a life long dream of mine, so I suppose I'm not so off course!

But I do sort of miss having something all my own! I look forward to getting back out into the world again. Contributing and interacting with others in my community. I know the day will come, I just hope I'm prepared for it when it does!
In the meantime, I hope to be watching my Dad "Survive" on Survivor!

2 comments:

Ronda said...

Oh my gosh, I hope he makes it! WOW, that's so cool.
Also, I'm so glad I was able to inspire you. That makes me feel great. We will have to get together sometime without the kids, and just be regular people, not moms!

Sylvia and Craig said...

Your dad sounds like a fun guy! You couldn't pay me to do Survivor. I'm a whimp about that stuff!

Congratulations!! I hope you are feeling okay. It helps knowing it's your last though, right? It did for me. I'm glad you guys are doing good and surviving the cold :) We actually miss it sometimes. But not too often.