Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm NOT Damaged!!

For some reason, unbeknown to me... my mom believed I was brain damaged in my left temporal lobe! I have been under the belief that this was the case for most of my life.
Concerned recently with the degree and frequency of the headaches I have been getting
(every day, migraine material) ...I finally sought out advice from my Doctor.
She ordered an MRI of the brain, which I had done early Friday Morning.

Monday, I anxiously awaited the results! Terrified to receive the bad news...brain damage, brain tumor...!? I was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best! We all know about the benign tumor we found last year in my thyroid, perhaps I'm bound to be lumpy...I thought!? The anticipation was killing me!!
I called them, ...twice.
Both times I was told that the doctor would return my call before the end of the day.
It didn't happen....office was closed, and I still had not received my call.

I debated what to do....drank a beer, and then called again....this time paging the doctor!!
My message went something like this:

I realize that by your terms this may not be considered a medical emergency...but it feels like one to me! I was told I would receive a call back before the end of the work day, it did not happen. I would like to get some sleep tonight and I am afraid that will not be possible if you do not call me back, now!! Please, .... just call me back!

A whopping 45 minutes later, I got the call.

"You're Fiiiiiiiiiiine!!" She said in a long whining sound, as if she couldn't imagine why I had ever thought I wouldn't be!?

"There's no brain damage ...in my left temporal lobe...none?!?!" I asked, still not convinced!

"No, nothing." She reassured me. "The only thing you have, that I think is the cause of your frequent headaches is Chronic Sinusitis and nasal/sinus polyps. It's very common" She said.

Silence. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it...I'm okay!! What a relief!!

"Ok! Great!" I said, "So what do I do about the Chronic, ...what is it again?!"

"Nothing." She said, "you'll probably always have it. You can have surgery to have the polyps removed, but nine times out of ten, they return. Try nasal irrigation, flushing out your nose and sinuses with saline (salt water) once a day."

"ok."

And that was it! I promptly irrigated my nose and sinuses....and immediately felt relief! The pressure in my head and swelling in my face....gone! I could breath, ...deeply, with out making noise! I had more energy! I could sing, with out sounding like one of the three chipmunks! Fantastic!! It's been almost a week, and I haven't had to take anything...I haven't had one headache!! I can't believe I waited so long to figure out what the heck was going on!!
I could have felt better years ago, dang it!
Just glad I do feel better now!
AND, even more relieved that I'm NOT damaged...and I don't have any brain tumors!! YAY!!

I did have a bad dream last night that they called me to tell me they had mixed up my test results with someone else's, and I really was dying tomorrow...
as you can imagine, I was most relieved to wake and find it was only a bad dream.
I suppose it will take my subconscious a while longer to really let it sink in.
I'm okay. I'm not dying...yet!!! Ha ha! Thank God!!
Guess you're all stuck with me for a while longer!

3 comments:

Ronda said...

What a horrible ordeal to go through! I am so happy for you that you are NORMAL.
Is your mom still around to ask her about this?
Take care
Ronda

The Sugden Kids said...

Thanks Ronda!

My mom is around, and I did ask her about it... evidently she took me to a real quack of a doctor when I was a kid who put all kinds of ideas in her head that weren't true!? I have no memory of it all, just all the testing...I was like 5!? I don't know!?

mommytoalot said...

I am very happy to hear that you are o.k. That must have been extremely scary to go through.
And...there are not a lot of people out there who can actually say they are "normal"..lol..just kidding..